Written by Cindy Chapman
In 1948, the collective leaders of Roanoke, Rhome, Haslet, Justin, and Fairview met to discuss a consolidation of the five communities to best serve their educational needs. Out of this agreement came the need for a new high school which broke ground in 1950. A construction marvel for its time, Northwest High School was a beacon of modern ingenuity of space and design, and was considered one of the best educational facilities in the state. The name Northwest High School was chosen prior to construction in December of 1948 during a meeting at Roanoke School between the boards of education and various superintendents. Ned Calvert, superintendent of Haslet at the time, convinced attendees to select the name Northwest for the highway the new high school would be looking over.